a weekend in Steamboat Springs
Pregnancy is a strange time in that, in some ways, it feels like an eternity, but in others, time seems to fly by. All of the sudden things that fit fine just a couple weeks before don’t stand a chance of fitting on your body. From the beginning, I found it helpful to take stock of what I had – things that weren’t overly fitted or a size or two too big that I could move to the front of my closet and wear as I got bigger. It was equally helpful to quietly put away the tight dresses and skinny jeans so not to harbor any false hopes of wearing them in the near future.
I didn’t want to spend too much money on maternity clothes since I knew I’d only be wearing them for a short amount of time. I found that I was able to purchase just a few maternity essentials that allowed me to mix and match with other pieces in my wardrobe.
- Swing dresses – Mango and ASOS have great options and the major plus is that you can still wear these when you’re no longer pregnant.
- Black and white maternity tank tops for layering over
- Oversized cardigans – another item that you can still wear when you’re not preggers. I picked up one from Loft earlier this summer and basically wore it with everything.
- 1 pair of maternity jeans – while it’s nice to have different style options, I found that one pair was enough to get me through.
- 1 pair of maternity leggings – equally useful for activewear and otherwise, I often wore these with a shirtdress to work.
- 1 pair of maternity shorts – Mango also had some elastic-waisted pairs I was able to wear until the end of my pregnancy.
- 1 pair of maternity pants for work – Loft has a great selection.
- A belly band in nude or black – allows you to wear non-maternity pants unbuttoned as your belly grows.
This is also a great time to hit up the thrift store. I nabbed a few inexpensive oversized blouses and it’s a great place to find looser-fitting and longer blazers.
I hope this helps! Any tips or questions about maternity dressing? I’m happy to answer anything I didn’t cover!
You were such a stylish mom to be! I only hope I'm half as stylish as you if I ever get pregnant, ha ha. And I'll definitely try to buy only a small number of maternity pieces too, I like loose fitting pieces anyway (except when it comes to jeans…)
The red dress is just so amazing!
You have hands down the best maternity style!
– Liz Lizo
You're a smart lady to buy such practical items! And seriously, all your outfits were just on point. You definitely won the most stylish and adorable pregnant lady ever award. And I'm so so happy for you and your future life as a mother–you're going to be incredible, I just know it! <3
love your outfits! so chic. you are adorable also!!! xx francesca
Frank Vinyl : A California Fashion Blog
wooahh!! you didn't even look like you had to change your style for maternity!!! so fashionable!!! so gorgeous!! 😀
Have a great day!
Best maternity style I've seen to date (and lately it seems like everyone is getting pregnant.) Your shower dress and the oversized floral are two of my favorites.
Chic on the Cheap
You picked really practical items to buy and your maternity style still looked like you. Congrats on your new baby.